Saturday 6 June 2009

Onion Bhajis

Adam and I bought a house a few months back, but it needs a lot of work doing to it. We've stripped it back completely to just bare bricks, and that's how it is at the moment. Adam's been down there today, as we've got a few different workmen coming down - they're making the door from the kitchen into the dining room a double door, and then we've got some people there sorting out our drains as well.

Adam works so hard, and I feel guilty for not helping out down at the house more, but at the moment there's not a lot I can do to help, being too girlie for manual labour! Went it gets to the decorating stage, it'll be over to me. So I thought tonight I'd make him a lovely romantic meal as a thank you.

One of our favourite types of food is Indian food, we love curries and anything spicy. So I'm making a curry for dinner, and for starters I'm serving these:



Onion bhajis!

They're one of our favourite starters when we go to a restaurant, and I've always wanted to try to make them at home, but struggled to find the main ingredient; gram flour. I was in the local Tesco picking up some ingredients for dinner though, when I actually found some! They're delicious, and easy to make if you can get gram flour in your local area. Here's the recipe:

Onion Bhajis

2 medium onions, finely sliced
225g/1 cup gram flour
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp chilli powder
1 green chilli
Oil for deep frying
Enough water to form a paste

Combine all the dry ingredients, and add the water a little at a time to form a paste. Stir in the green chillies and onions until thoroughly coated. Heat the oil until hot, and drop spoonfuls of the mixture into it until cooked.

12 comments:

Alisa said...

Great photo.I had them once at a restaurant and they were deliciously spicy. I found you from the foodieblogroll and I like what you've got going here.I'd love to guide our readers to your site if you won't mind.Just add this foodista widget to this post and it's all set to go, Thanks! Alisa@Foodista

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just visiting from Swapbot :)

So jealous of your food photography . . . I've tried (with disastrous results!)

Emma @ Bake Sew Grow said...

I just want to say thanks to you two for both complimenting my photography, it's lovely to get some positive feedback as I'm only really new to the whole photography thing!

Unknown said...

This looks delicious! I love finding good looking vegetarian recipes! thanks, I can't wait to try it.

Classic Mully said...

YUM! I'm gonna follow your blog, its got too many cute (and edible) things in it!

As for the slogan- I wish I came up with it! Great blog!

Lori said...

I am going to have to see if I can find some and try this out. I love making Indian food too. I love making homemade butter chicken and chick pea curry. They are my favorites.

katielyn said...

That sounds like me- let the honey do the manual stuff! I love how your blog title is animated- so cool!

Ruth said...

Hi visiting from swap-bot user id jzzyblu good looking photos.

Debbie @ OtRD said...

Those look so good! I want to try them.

Once you get into the decorating part of the house I'm sure you are going to have a great time!

Adorntonia said...

Wonderful blog! The food looks delicious. YUMMM!!! ;)

xo.sorcha.ox said...

I love onion bhajis! Havent had them in such a long time, though, not since moving from the city. The town in which I work has three Indian takeaways, and up until recently not a single one did vegetarian meals, which I always found ironic. However, just this week one has introduced two (yes, TWO!) vegetarian meals to their menu. I love lentil dhaal; usually prefer to make it at home, rather than buy it, because I know there's no chance of meat contamination when I do it!
~S.

Unknown said...

These sound really good - I may try to make a gluten free version and see how that works.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...