I've always wanted to try it though - I love pasta, and I love cheese. A match made in heaven! So earlier this week, I did in fact try it. I added lots of brocolli as well, for two reasons: I love brocolli cheese and I had a full head of brocolli that had seen better days.
Macaroni Cheese with Brocolli
1. Put pasta on to boil, grate cheese and seperate brocolli florets
2. Melt butter, then add flour to form a roux
3. Add mustard, cayenne pepper and the milk a little at a time. Keep stirring the mixture and don't add more milk until the previous amount has been absorbed
4. About halfway through the pasta cooking, add the brocolli either to a steamer set over the pan, or directly into the pan with the pasta depending on how you prefer to cook your brocolli
5. When all milk has been absorbed, add cheese and stir into sauce
6. Drain pasta and brocolli well, and then add the cheese sauce
7. Sprinkle over some extra cayenne pepper if you so desire
I loved it every bit as much as I thought it was, and it only took about 20 minutes to make. It's not something I'll be having every day but will be delicious as an occasional comfort food - especially on these upcoming cold winter nights!
I hope you have a lovely weekend - do you have anything special planned?